Working with family can be a dream from some, and a living nightmare for others. If you and your sibling want to work on a project together, you’ll have to stay sane in order to get to the finish line. Here are 10 tips for working with your bro.
1. You don’t have to censor yourself with family. Relax, wear your comfiest clothes, and let those f-bombs fly.
2. If you’re going to dish it out, you better be able to take it. No one knows how to push your buttons like family.
3. First thing in the day, share your schedule. You want to be on the same page so you don’t get caught off guard by any surprises.
4. Don’t nap when you should be working. You have to hold up your end of the project.
5. When the day is done, make sure you have someone to talk to other than your brother. Just in case you need a break.
6. Start small. Get a handle on the working dynamics while the stakes are low. If it doesn’t work out? No big deal. It’s easier to call it quits when you’re building a bench then when you’re renovating the kitchen.
7. It’s best if you have your own but complementary set of skills. That way there’s territory, I’m good at these things and you’re good at those things. You each have your own kingdom.
8. It’s the hardest for many of us, but you have to admit when you’re wrong. If it’s for the best of the final project, sometimes you have to take in on the chin.
9. There will be times when you just can’t agree. Have an impartial judge on call that can break a tie.
10. Make sure there’s a beer in the fridge for the end of the day.